Sunday 9 September 2007

Travel to Hendaye

I took the relatively easy option of travelling by plane from Stansted to Biaritz. But I did need to get to Paul's house in Kent first, which meant travelling by train and tube from Gloucestershire equipped with a huge bag, a rucsac and a spare tyre around my neck - my shoulders still ache even two days later - but it was straightforward compared to JR, John C and Roy. I even got given £5 sponsorship by a chap at the railway station. John H

We had the job of bringing the support vehicle, loaded with four bikes and most of the team's luggage, from Norfolk, via Dover and Calais, to Hendaye for the start. The total distance driven amounted to 893 miles at an average of 61 mph in 14 hours 47 minutes plus rest stops. Sharing the driving meant the journey was surprisingly uneventful on the mostly excellent French roads. Apart, that is, from a detour into Rouen at the behest of the satnav. John C and Roy.

As previously recorded, my journey started on Thursday evening on the Sleeper down to London. Arriving in the early morning I managed a quick and uneventful ride across London, stopping only to view the early sun over the Thames. Apart from getting slightly lost at Waterloo station, I managed to send the bike off to Paris from the Eurostar dispatch witout a hitch. The Eurostar terminal was packed with those travelling to see the opening match of the Rugby world cup - but my train was booked for later in the day, so I managed to spend a relaxed morning and Lunch with my brother (Andy) before catching my train. Eurostar was fine and smooth. Arrived in Paris Gare du Nord and spent an anxious 20 minutes trying to find the point to pick up the bike. Eventially found it and much to my relief it was there! On emerging from the pick-up-point there was a fly-by from the French version of the Red Arrows - don't know who told them I was there! Then I had to cycle across Paris, in the dark, with an inadequate Map. II made it OK, but it took a while.... Gare de Austerlitz was full of people waiting fro the various 'Corail Lunea' services running from there. We were allowed on about 45 minutes before departure and I was glad to find my bunk was right next to the bike compartment. The night was comfortable enough, but I didn't sleep much. I de-trained at St Jean-de-Luz in the dark, found an open Patisserie for breakfast and then pedalled (with full load) along the 'Corniche Basque' road to Hendaye as the sun was rising, arriving at about 8:30 am on Saturday morning, almost exactly 36 hours after leaving Aberdeen. Jeremy.

1 comment:

Roy Everitt said...

Rouen is actually quite nice, as long as you don't want to leave. John had managed some sleep on the ferry and was alert enough to ignore the satnav and find our way south.
I would probably still be there, admiring the cathedral's twin towers.